Thursday, April 27, 2006

My Kid, the Writer



For those who care to read it, here is a second story of the pitiful life of a photographer's kid, written by my oldest.

“Let’s see here…what’s on the agenda today?” Micki peered at her large list of places to photograph; about half of them were crossed out already.

Karrissa stood behind her, looking extremely tired. It was, after all 5:00 AM.

“Mom,” Karrissa groaned, “human beings shouldn’t be up at this hour! Can’t we go back to bed? For a little while?”

“But we’re already dressed! And besides—the world awaits!!” Micki struck a fancy pose, index finger pointed forward. “Here—I got a new lens. Hold this, peon.”

Karrissa took the lens begrudgingly (carefully packed up, of course), and slung it over her shoulder. “You just want me to carry all your stuff so it doesn’t seem like I’m taller then you..” she grumbled.

Micki blatantly ignored this. “Off to the bus station!” she declared, and took off.

Karrissa shuffled along behind her.

~~~~

After the duo had reached the bus station, Karrissa realized something.

“Hey Mom, we were going to The World That Never Was, next, right?”

Micki nodded.

“But we can’t get there by bus.”

“Of course we can get there by bus!” Micki insisted.

Karrissa crossed her arms as best as she could while holding up the photography equipment. “No, we can’t. I’ve played Kingdom Hearts 2, so I know that you have to take a portal—like-thing. Of course, I haven’t actually been to The World That Never Was yet, it’s sorta the last stage in the game….must get there..Riku..nwehe..”

Micki backed away as Karrissa started to drool. She did her best to ignore Karrissa’s nerd rantings, just as Karrissa tried her best to avoid her mom’s photography rantings. It really only worked for Micki—she has the inherent ability to completely block out whatever she’s not interested in.

After about fifteen minutes of Karrissa rambling incoherently, Micki hit her in the head with a tennis ball.

“Right then! If we’ve got to take a portal to get there, then that’s what we’ve got to do. Where is this portal?” Micki questioned.

Karrissa shrugged. “No clue. “Haven’t gotten there yet, remember? I’ve only seen cutscenes that take place in it.”

While Micki was trying to figure out what was so great about these ‘cutscenes’ that Karrissa went on about all the time, a portal opened in front of the two of them.

Karrissa squealed. “YAY! I get to travel by portal!” She jumped in happily and vanished.

Micki eyed the black-and purple portal suspiciously. She really didn’t want to get in that thing—but, her photography stuff was on the other side. (Oh yeah, and her daughter) so she stepped in anyways.

~~~~

Ah, the World That Never Was. Where it is always night, and rains often. Thus, there are many puddles on the clean sidewalks. Tall buildings with neon signs cover the entire city, and you can always see the moon.

Karrissa and Micki popped out of the portal into a mysteriously clean alley.

“That was cool,” Karrissa grinned, gazing back at the portal. “It’s gotta beat a port-key.”

“So this is TWTNW, eh?” Micki split a grin that was twice as big as Karrissa’s. “It’s—dare I say it again? PERFECT! ACK, I MUST TAKE A PICTURE OF THE REFLECTION OF THAT NEON SIGN ON THAT BUILDING IN THE PUDDLE!! LOOK, THE MOON! IT’S SOO PREETTY…”

Karrissa’s brain fizzled and sparked trying to understand this. She also wondered how her mom pronounced ‘TWTNW’.

Micki yanked a few of her camera bags off Karrissa (causing her to fall over) and eagerly unpacked them. She attached all her lenses..and filters, and whatever else it is that you put on a camera, and set up to take a picture.

Karrissa had given up on trying to understand her mom a few moments ago and was instead studying the portal. She was sticking her hand in and out and laughing like the nerd she was, when she spotted—

A FAMILIAR HEAD OF SILVER HAIR.

“Ohmigee, RIKU!” she squeaked, and started running. That is, until someone grabbed the back of her shirt.

Micki had just taken her 57th picture when she was also grabbed. Apparently TWTNW has trespassing laws, because both Karrissa and Micki (and the cameras) were tossed back through the portal by an Unknown.

~~~~

Micki and Karrissa landed face-first on the ground, crashing into a soda machine. Micki was the first to get up, gasping and making sure all her cameras were still in one piece. Karrissa was to busy trying to make sure all of her was in piece.

Finding that everything was indeed whole, they both sighed in relief. Then they sat there bemoaning the fact that they had been kicked out. Micki muttered something about, ‘why do they keep throwing me out..?’

Karrissa abruptly started grinning. “An Unknown touched my shirt! Ohh, I hope it was Axel! If it was Xaldin, I think I’ll vomit…”

Then Micki squealed, because she realized that the reflection of the bus in the soda machine was—dare she think it—perfect!

So they both sat there, Micki snapping pictures of the soda machine and Karrissa slightly dazed, for the rest of the day.




[THUS IS THE WEIRD LIFE OF A PHOTOGRAPHER AND HER DAUGHTER. ^_^]

30 Comments:

Blogger micki said...

Took my daughter's freshman year portraits last fall using Fuji's NPC 160 film and my 105mm portrait lens. I liked that film. Going to test out another portrait film today, as my youngest daughter has agreed to sit for me for a photo shoot. Portraits are my favorite, but it's hard to find someone to sit for me in this family.

9:09 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

HAHA! I like that...My kids are REALLY into those RPG's too. They go on and on about them. All I hear in my head when they are obsessing about them is "blah,blah...blah,blahblahblah...blah..." It's a foreign language to me. I don't get them at all. *sigh* Oh well.

That is a great portrait.

9:11 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

she's cute, nice backlight...

10:14 AM  
Blogger Monterey John said...

Beautiful portrait. Someone once told me that you can tell when the photographer loves his subject. it just shows.

10:34 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You always have intersting stories...I think that's one of the reasons why I keep coming bak...add amazing photos and you are one of the best photoblogs around.

Thx for all the comments you've shared on my photoblog ;)

Philo-Graphious

10:40 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely portrait and fun story. I particularly liked this line: "Micki struck a fancy pose, index finger pointed forward." Do you strike fancy poses often? :-)

11:04 AM  
Blogger Sandy said...

I had a chuckle when she says that you have a inherent ability to completley block out whatever she is not interested in. I've been accused of that myself. You are not a Leo are you? I love this picture of you daughter. I love portraits.

11:12 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Fantastic shot / post Micki.

11:18 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

An excellent picture brilliant, the illumination of the hair you have had left.

11:44 AM  
Blogger PlasticTV said...

That story is worth many chuckles. :)

12:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice lighting and a good potrait shot.

12:48 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

like the light in the background!
- shaped
http://pixel.shaped.ch

12:55 PM  
Blogger The Alchemist said...

great portrait - and a great story to accompany it - Not a fan of those rpg - but i know a lot of people who - I tend to block them out too when they start droning on about them! haha

3:35 PM  
Blogger WendyAs said...

Love the way the light comes through her hair. She looks very angelic. She has such an amazing face.
I loved reading the story. The grumbles sound all to familiar. I have to tolarate them from my kids when out adventuring.

5:14 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

beautiful portrait...the backlight and soft tone make a classic look for the shot...i like it:-)

5:26 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

very niche composition! good shot!
and what a look !!!

7:20 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like this portrait: the backlight and the very low contrast are great.

7:35 PM  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

BRAVO!!to your daughter for her story..a born writer!! She must keep practising her pose for the back cover of her novel.Of course mom will take the shot!!

9:20 PM  
Blogger Wolf said...

Beautiful portrait, very nice post!
Keep up that writing, its great!

9:24 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I enjoyed this story Micki - thanks for sharing with us all ;)

10:07 PM  
Blogger x1 said...

I was looking at your blog and photos. Really interesting how you can get your life with blogging.

1:07 AM  
Blogger Nicola said...

Cool story! And a nice portrait.

3:22 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very nice portrait, Micki - and a great story to go along with it!

Abe

4:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Portraits are what I have the hardest time with. Good luck!

5:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I like the prose and the pose!

5:54 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

That is one good portrait! Great lighting!

8:12 AM  
Blogger Jill said...

She's VERY pretty!!

11:46 PM  
Blogger Cool Daddio said...

I like the portrait and the blah blah :-)

9:13 PM  
Blogger frame of mind said...

Beautifully composed with the sunlight just beginning to peek into the top of the frame - an angelic atmosphere.

The story, as always was a fun read - a creative imagination and the means to express it to others is a wonderful combination of gifts :-)

6:43 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great story! How old is your daughter? Wish she was in my class - colud teach the other kids a thing or a million about stroy writing!

9:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home