Wednesday, April 12, 2006

Mom the Photographer



As many of you know, I homeschool my older children. Three times a week, the two oldest have creative writing assignment. They usually write a part of a continuous story line made up of video game and anime’ (Japanese animation) characters that they are so entertained by. After I awhile, I entered into both of their storylines. In my oldest daughter’s writings, I am a photographer pixie who is slightly annoying and spends most of her time sitting on someone’s lap or warm computer monitor waiting for the perfect shot. Then she comes to life with a little burst of cosmic energy that doesn’t end until the shot has been taken. In my second oldest’s writings, I am a crazed lunatic with an unnatural obsession for Jack Sparrow from Pirates of the Caribbean. This wild woman has been know to knock down doors to get into the house that her main characters share because she heard the lighting on the toilet paper roll in the upstairs bathroom was just right. Where do they come up with this stuff. :p

Anyway, my oldest daughter has two different assignments on those days. The entry below is what she came up with from her second assignment on Monday. I thought it most entertaining, and that I would share. Am I really that crazed??

Goal: Sequence events in chronological order


Write a story about something that is unpleasant for the main character. To help you get started, plan your story below.
1. Where is your character?
2. List seven things that happen to this person.
3. List them in the order that they happened.
4. How does the story end?
Now you are ready to write your story.


Ah, Twilight Town. Where it is always twilight. This provides an INFINITE number of sunset pictures. However, it does have its drawbacks; one of them being that you really can’t tell the difference between day and night. So when Micki the photographer arrived there, she was a little confused.

“Hey, what time is it?” she wondered aloud.

Karrissa, who had gotten dragged along as per usual, had a watch, so SHE knew the time.

“Um, nine PM.”

“AWESOME!” Micki squealed. “Sunset pictures, here we come!” She ran off gleefully.

“Wait! MOM!!!” Karrissa cried, burdened with ten bags and two tripods.

“Hurry up peon!! I can’t take pictures without my cameras!!”

Karrissa grumbled darkly and ran to catch up with her mom. “Couldn’t—you have gotten a MULE or something to carry this stuff for you?”

“A mule can’t ride in the van,” Micki stated matter-of-factly.

~On the train~

“YAYAYAY!” Micki squealed. “According to my photography magazine, there’s a lookout over there that’s just PERFECT for taking pictures!!”

Karrissa ulped, looking out the window to the nothingness below. “Ummm..” she squeaked, “w-what’s holding the track up???”

“Who CARES!” Micki cried. “Pictures! Hey, can I have seven-thousand dollars?”

“Sure..” Karrissa replied without thinking, still staring out the window in fright.

~At Sunset Lookout~

“OHMIGOSHSQUEEE!” Micki cried. “I’m in heaven! Give me that (insert weird number here) millimeter lens!”

Karrissa sighed and handed it over.

“PERFECT!” Micki exclaimed, hurriedly fixating it to her camera. She quickly began snapping pictures.

Karrissa sighed in boredom, letting her gaze roam around the area, when she spotted a familiar head of blonde hair.

“Is that—Roxas?” She gasped. “Well we ARE in Twilight Town…ROXAS!!” She screamed, attempting to take off running. But of course, it’s IMPOSSIBLE to run when you have thousands of dollars worth of camera equipment strapped to your back.

“What are you DOING, Karrissa?” Micki asked, continuing to snap pictures.

“Nothing…” Karrissa muttered, sitting down in defeat.

[THUS IS THE SAD LIFE OF A PHOTOGRAPHER’S DAUGHTER. 0_>]

28 Comments:

Blogger micki said...

Self Portrait from last summer – cropped from original

Minolta Maxxum 7000 Kodak TMax ISO 100

7:57 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice B&W, sorry have not really had time to read all your caption :) Home schooling the kids? Brave woman though.

Nice to always put a face to the photographer. maybe oneday I will scare you all with my ugly mug :)

Suby

8:01 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Very funny story! Kepp them coming. There is no doubt where all this creativity comes from :-). I really admire your decision to homeschool your older children.

8:33 AM  
Blogger frame of mind said...

Thanks for sharing that story! Can we look forward to regular installments of the adventures of Micki and Co. ? :-)
Great self-portrait work here as well - no nonsense, casual, and with a favorite tool in tow.

9:47 AM  
Blogger tony.unwin said...

Nice picture, always good to put a face to the name and artist... :o)

10:23 AM  
Blogger Naturegirl said...

You can't teach writing because writers are "born" and not made.Your children are blessed to have a mother who gives advice, guidlines, and helps them develop their writing skills.Our world of imagination can take us anywhere!I really enjoyed my visit today!

10:28 AM  
Blogger Ali said...

Nice photo, but a great piece of writing to go with it. Must be both fun and hard to homeschool kids.

11:19 AM  
Blogger Laurie said...

That was fun! Great pic too.

My kids are REALLY into Anime too. They watch it on the computer (with subtitles of course).

12:16 PM  
Blogger Azhar said...

Very nice photo,very nice!
Btw I commented on every single blog in the links :)

12:23 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Nice potrait shot and good story.

12:25 PM  
Blogger *p said...

Nice Story...a nice portrait...the Master on the other side of the lense.
Philo-graphious

12:30 PM  
Blogger Lore said...

hehehe, very nice story!! and pretty fun!!! :D and the photo is so lovely!!! Well done as always!!! :D we have some similar assigments, but we have to create and draw the characters, but i think is really fun thing to do!!! :D

1:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look like a mom any kid would want to have, in my opinion. Great story to go with a great photograph!

2:28 PM  
Blogger Rich said...

Wow... you even look like a photographer ! :-) are good photographers born or is it a craft learned ? .....keep up the wonderful stuff.

2:46 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Lovely story, and that really is an awesome self-portrait.

3:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

i love this self-portrait. and your daughter's story is hysterical. i'm glad she is able to process the terrible trauma of having such an enthusiastic photographer for a mom through her writing ;) (i love the “I’m in heaven! Give me that (insert weird number here) millimeter lens!” bit)

3:49 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

I might incorporate this assignment into one of my upcoming lessons. My students won't be able to write quite as vividly and, obviously, fluently as your daughter, though.

8:36 PM  
Blogger Patty said...

Very creatively written & funny story!

Beautiful self-portrait. Love the slashed jeans.

11:37 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

You look beautiful, I think. And from what I read, your family sounds fun! :)

3:17 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A lovely picture and I really enjoyed the story.

3:48 AM  
Blogger Brent Vermilyea said...

Beautiful portrait and post. Regards, Brent

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

A history very amused. The picture is very beautiful and the ByN this brilliant one.

4:21 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi Micki i revisit my english speaking ;) Nice shot; very natural . I love that.

4:32 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

nice story, nice image as well

5:15 AM  
Blogger DiaKL said...

That was soooo creative!! :) After reading your daughters assignment I now cant stop smiling, really, it was so great!!! :)
And thats a wonderful self-portrait, mmm now Im starting to believe that some people are born photographers :)

PS. I watch anime too :D

6:18 PM  
Blogger jj said...

nice story, nice self portrait indeed :)

10:00 AM  
Blogger H.O said...

Hi micki.
nice picture and nice story.

1:01 AM  
Blogger Karen Schmautz said...

Your pictures are bee-utiful and I was very jealous of your daughter's writing. I homeschooled (am still homeschooling my youngest) all three of my children and my oldest son never did get the hang of writing...much to my chagrin. Second child (daughter)is a great writer and youngest (son) is imaginative but not very good with grammar (homeschooler's curse of bad spellers.)

I, too, take my camera everywhere with me...much to my children's distress. Your photos are very inspiring.

Thanks for dropping by my blog...I shall return.

10:45 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home